Fall has come to Ontario much too early in my opinion. I love autumn but starting in early September already? Toooo early!
It is fun make slow cooker meals again though and this interesting stew recipe will be ready when you are! Always a bonus after a busy day.
A few notes: very often when using stewing beef in a slow cooker, it needs to be browned first. Not here! It comes out very tender.
It also seems that if you set the cooker on LOW for only 6-7 hours, the meat and potatoes will not be cooked but they were.
One more thing – with just the coconut milk as the wetting agent, the original mixture seems dry at first but the sweet potatoes will release a lot of liquid while cooking and you end up with a thickened creamy sauce.
1 T all-purpose flour
3-4 tsp. curry powder (I used mild but you can increase the heat by adding more or using a medium-to-hot curry powder instead)
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 to 1 1/2 lbs stewing beef
2 very large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 “cubes
1 large red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 14 oz can coconut milk
3 T fresh ginger, finely chopped
3 limes – 2 juiced and one cut into wedges as garnish
1 green onion, sliced
1. In large bowl, whisk together flour, curry powder, allspice, salt and pepper. Add stewing beef and toss until well coated.
2. Carefully lift the beef and place it into the slow cooker.
3. Add sweet potatoes and red pepper to bowl and toss in remaining flour mixture.
4. Spread the veggies over the meat and sprinkle with any remaining flour/spice mixture.
5. Open the can of coconut milk and carefully add the chopped ginger or pour into a bowl and add ginger. Stir.
6. Pour over the vegetables and beef.
7. Set cooker on LOW and leave for 6-7 hours.
8. Remove cover and add lime juice. Stir thoroughly and season with salt.
9. Plate and sprinkle green onions over top. Serve with lime wedges.